Classic fried pies with potatoes in a frying pan
Potato pies are an ideal option for a quick snack.
Pies in a frying pan can be prepared in different ways, but in the classic version they are made from the following ingredients:
- 0.25 l milk;
- 2 eggs;
- 350 g flour;
- 5 g salt;
- 10 g granulated sugar;
- 30 g baking powder;
- 50-70 ml of refined cooking fat;
- 6-7 large potato tubers;
You need to prepare the baked goods in this order:
- Pour baking powder into warm milk, add salt, sugar and mix.
- When bubbles appear on the surface of the dough, add eggs, refined fat and mix until smooth.
- Add flour into the liquid mixture in small portions. The quantity indicated in the list of ingredients is indicated approximately; this component should be as much as the dough “takes”.
- Knead a loose base for the pies and leave to rise, covering it with a towel.
- While the dough is rising, boil the potatoes, mash them with a mortar and puree, add onions fried in oil, sprinkle with salt and spices.
- When the base is suitable, knead it again, cut it into small pieces, form them into round cakes and make pies.
- Place the pieces in a frying pan with hot fat, seam side down, and fry on both sides.
Advice. After the pastries are ready, they should be placed in one row on a plate covered with paper so that excess fat is absorbed and the pies are not too oily.
Video on how to cook flatbreads with potatoes in a frying pan
Friends, if you still have questions about the cooking process, then this short video will help you get answers. Typically, questions may arise about the consistency of the dough, or about the formation of the blanks. The video shows all the stages and states of the components for a given period of time.
I hope that the video will be useful to you. By the way, I invite you to subscribe. This is our channel “Secrets of Housekeeping” with our original recipes.
And in conclusion, I want to say what is the advantage of flatbreads over pies. The dough here turns out so thin that it literally shines through. And it feels like you are eating one filling with a very thin flour shell. The pies definitely won’t turn out like that.
Therefore, if you are not a particular supporter of eating flour products, but you want something like that, then this is just the option. Be sure to try it!
Let me remind you that the filling may be different each time. This means you definitely won’t get tired of the dish!
Friends, have a great mood and bon appetit to those who cooked! See you again!
Author of the publication
offline 13 hours
Pies with potatoes made from yeast dough in a frying pan
You can cook potato pies in a frying pan using pressed yeast for the dough.
The pies will turn out airy and light.
During the cooking process you will need:
- 2 eggs;
- 400 ml milk;
- 45 g pressed yeast;
- 10 g sugar;
- 5 g salt;
- 50 g margarine;
- 0.4-0.55 g flour;
- medium sized potatoes;
To prepare a dish, you must follow the following procedure:
- Using a knife, chop the pressed yeast into small pieces and dissolve in half the milk.
- Grind the egg yolk with sugar and salt, add melted margarine and dilute with the remaining milk.
- Combine the resulting mixture with the dough, add flour, knead a soft dough and leave in a warm place for 60-90 minutes. The base will be ready when it has increased at least one and a half times.
- While the dough is rising, boil the potatoes, crush them with a mortar, add salt and fried onions, then cool.
- Knead the suitable base, cut into pieces, shape into pies and fry over medium heat.
Important! In order for the yeast dough to rise, it should be placed in a container with a tight-fitting lid, wrapped in a towel and placed away from drafts.
Recipe for pies with cabbage. A simple recipe for pies with cabbage
We start cooking by preparing the main ingredients.
In a separate container, mix dry yeast, sugar and fill it with very warm water. Mix thoroughly so that there are no lumps left. Cover with a towel and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes. The dough is ready.
In a deep bowl, mix the dough, salt, gradually add sifted flour and vegetable oil.
Knead the dough thoroughly until it becomes homogeneous, elastic and does not stick to your hands. Cover the dough with a towel and leave in a warm place for one hour.
After an hour, the dough will double in size. We remove the dough again for an hour, in the meantime we will make the filling.
Wash the cabbage under water, chop and fry in vegetable oil until golden. Salt and pepper the filling.
Knead the dough and divide into 16 parts. Roll each ball into a flat cake and place the filling in the center. We pinch the edges of the pies.
Place the pies, seam side down, on a baking sheet lined with parchment and leave to proof under a towel for 20 minutes. Brush the surface with egg and place in the oven, preheated to 250 degrees. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
The cabbage pies are ready, bon appetit!
Puff pastry pies with potatoes and liver
You can use puff pastry as the basis for the pies, and make the filling from potatoes and liver.
For this you will need:
- a pack of margarine;
- 5 g each of salt and soda;
- 10 ml vinegar;
- 250 ml water;
- 700 g flour;
- 3-4 potatoes;
- 450 g liver;
To prepare this dish, you need to do the following:
- Beat the egg with a whisk, add water, salt and slaked soda with vinegar, then mix thoroughly.
- Grate the margarine and mix with flour, then add the resulting liquid to the dry ingredients.
- Knead the dough, form it into a ball and put it in the refrigerator.
- Boil the liver and potatoes, grind the by-products in a meat grinder, and crush the fruits with a mortar, then mix the ingredients and add fried onions, salt and spices.
- Roll out the puff pastry into a thin layer, cut out squares, fill them with filling and form triangular pies. Fry them in vegetable fat.
On a note. There is another option for preparing this dish. The formed “triangles” are brushed with egg yolk, sprinkled with sesame seeds and baked in the oven.
Lush pies made from curd dough, cooked in a frying pan
To prepare tender and fluffy pies with potatoes, it is better to use cottage cheese with a fat content of at least 9% as a base for the dough.
The dough with the addition of cottage cheese is quite nutritious.
For cooking you will need:
- 2 eggs;
- a pack of cottage cheese;
- 5 g soda;
- 300 g flour;
- 5-6 potato tubers;
- a bunch of greenery;
How to prepare fluffy pies from curd dough:
- Pass the cottage cheese through a meat grinder, add eggs and soda, mix until smooth.
- Add flour little by little, knead the airy dough, and then leave it to rise, covered with a towel.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water, puree, cool, and then add chopped herbs and mix thoroughly.
- Divide the curd dough, form small patties and fry over low heat.
Attention! As a filling for pies made from curd dough, you can use only “non-flowing” components, for example, potatoes or meat, otherwise the pieces will fall apart and the leaking juice will burn during frying.
Unusual recipe: potato dough and cabbage filling
Many of us believe that baking is made only from yeast dough. Fried potato pies may be an exception. There is one recipe. According to him, for this dish you can prepare a special dough, which is a mixture of potatoes, wheat flour, chicken eggs and salt. Boil the potatoes (1.5 kg) and mash them while hot. Add salt (1 teaspoon), eggs (2 pieces) and wheat flour (you will need very little - 2 tablespoons). Stir the dough.
Start preparing the filling. Grind 250 g of white cabbage. Mix it with the same amount of sauerkraut. Chop a small onion and fry. Add the cabbage mixture, a pinch of salt and 1 teaspoon of sugar to the same pan. Simmer the cabbage until done.
Place the board on the table. Sprinkle more flour on it. Add mashed potatoes in batches and make tortillas. Place stewed cabbage in the middle of each of them and form into pies. If desired, you can also roll the cakes in breadcrumbs. When frying, pour a sufficient amount of sunflower oil into the pan. As a result, you will get rather unusual fried potato pies. They look delicious in the photo.
“Lazy” pies made from batter with mushrooms and potatoes
Not every housewife can afford to spend a lot of time at the stove, and some do not know how to handle dough. In this case, the best option would be to prepare “lazy” pies with mushrooms and potatoes on a liquid basis.
For cooking you will need:
- 300 ml sour milk or kefir;
- 2 eggs;
- 200 g flour;
- salt and soda (a pinch);
- 3-4 large potatoes;
- 250 g of mushrooms of any kind.
You need to prepare “lazy” pies with potatoes and mushrooms in the following order:
- Fry the chopped mushrooms in a frying pan, sprinkle with salt and spices, and then place in a colander to drain excess liquid.
- Peel the potato tubers and grate them on a coarse grater.
- Beat the eggs, pour in sour milk or kefir, add salt, soda, grated potatoes and cooled mushrooms, and then mix until smooth.
- Pour enough flour into the mixture so that it resembles pancake batter and stir thoroughly.
- Place portions by the tablespoon into a frying pan with heated fat and fry over medium heat.
If you follow this recipe, you can handle the cooking very quickly, and the resulting pies will not be inferior in taste to those made in the traditional way.
Recipe for pies with onions and eggs. Fried pies with egg and onion
Pour a full teaspoon of salt into a bowl, 3 tbsp. spoons of sugar and dry yeast. We dilute all this with milk. Beat in two large eggs and pour in a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil. Mix everything. Sift the flour and add more than half of the flour to the liquid mixture. Mix the dough. In the process, add the remaining flour. Place the dough in a warm place, covered with a towel, for an hour and a half.
In the meantime, let's start with the filling. First, boil the eggs hard. Boil the eggs longer until they are 100% firm. While cooking, sprinkle a couple of pinches of salt into the egg water. Pour cold water over the boiled eggs for better cleaning. Chop them finely, or three on a coarse grater. Then we wash the green onions, chop them and put them in the eggs. Salt and pepper to taste.
When the dough has doubled in size, start making pies. Divide the ball into small pieces. Make donuts from pieces of dough by kneading the buns with your fingers. It is better not to use a rolling pin so that the dough is soft. Place the filling on the circle of dough so that it does not fall off. We seal the edges, pinching them so that the pies do not fall apart.
We take out the frying pan. Take the largest and deepest one to fit more pies. Heat it up, pour in vegetable oil. Place the pies in a hot frying pan, sealed side down. The oil should reach the middle of the pie.
While frying, the pies can be covered with a lid. Then the fire can be made quieter, and the pies will begin to rise better. Fry them on both sides until cooked. Wonderful taste, just like in childhood! Eat for your health!
Pies with potatoes and meat, fried in a frying pan
When saying “potato pies”, many people mean that this component will be present in the filling. But there is an option for preparing the dish when root vegetables are added to the dough, and the filling is made from meat.
Potatoes are added to the dough itself, and the filling is made from meat.
During the preparation process you will need:
- 2 eggs;
- 5 potatoes;
- a small piece of butter;
- 200 g flour;
- 300 g meat;
- salt and spices.
The dish should be prepared in the following order:
- Boil the potatoes, add salt, butter, puree and cool.
- Grind the boiled meat in a meat grinder, sprinkle with seasonings and season with fried onions.
- Add eggs and flour to the potatoes, knead into a stiff dough.
- Cut the base, fill with filling and fry in a heated frying pan.
If desired, you can put herbs in the potato dough or filling, and serve the pies with sour cream or mayonnaise.
Using the above cooking methods as a basis, you can make your own adjustments to them and create many of your own baking recipes.
How to cook pies in a frying pan without yeast and water?
The fastest way to make pies is using dough without yeast, since you don’t have to make a dough and wait for it to rise. This dough is mixed from simple ingredients that you most likely already have at home.
The thinner you roll out the dough, the thinner it will be in the pies. Thin-rolled dough is very similar to puff pastry in its structure.
We will need:
For the test:
- water – half a glass;
- flour – 300 g;
- vegetable oil – 1 tbsp;
- salt – 1/3 teaspoon.
- potatoes – 400 g;
- carrots – 1 piece;
- onion – 1 piece;
- We make a very simple dough by mixing water, flour, salt and vegetable oil. Knead the dough with your hands and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- At this time, prepare the filling. Boil potatoes in salted water.
- Peel the onion and finely chop it with a knife.
- We clean the carrots, wash them and grate them.
- Sauté onions and carrots in a frying pan.
- Drain the water from the finished potatoes, add the fried vegetables to it and start pounding so that the filling is homogeneous.
- We take out our dough, roll out the sausage, cut into equal parts, roll out each piece thinner. Place the filling in the center and make pies.
- Fry in hot oil on both sides.
- Place the pies on paper towels to absorb excess oil and serve!