How to prepare a delicious batter for fish?
There are two secrets: choose the right proportions of ingredients and follow the sequence of combining all components.
The following sequence is considered a classic: beat eggs with salt, then add ice-cold liquid and only then gradually add flour to obtain a “dough”, like liquid sour cream.
After kneading, leave the batter for half an hour. During this time, the gluten will have time to swell and all the ingredients will combine well. As a result, its consistency will be perfect.
Now that you know how to prepare a delicious fish batter, it’s time to choose the best battered fish recipe.
Red fish in Chinese batter
- Egg – 1 pc.;
- corn starch - 2 tbsp.
- red fish fillet – 0.5 kg.
Preparation: How to cook red fish in batter? Beat the egg well, add cornstarch and salt to taste. We cut the fish into pieces, dip it in this batter and fry on both sides over very high heat. By the way, marinated chicken wings in this batter turn out very tasty.
Recipe 1. Sardines in batter with onions
Spices and herbs, fiery vegetables, crispy batter and juicy fish. This delicious dish with incredible aroma needs to be prepared urgently!
- 140 g – flour
- 15 sardines
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 lemon
- 3 cloves garlic
- Spices and seasonings to taste
- Oil refined for frying
- Clean, gut and wash the sardines. Separate the heads and rinse again.
- Prepare the marinade. To do this, pepper the fish, add salt, add spices to taste and place in a bowl with lemon juice. Leave to marinate for an hour.
- Prepare the batter: beat the eggs with salt, add chilled water and stir until smooth. Gradually whisk in the flour to make a semi-liquid dough. Leave to sit for half an hour. After half an hour, add chopped onion and stir.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, roll the sardines in starch and then in batter and fry on both sides until cooked. Place on paper towels and then place on a plate.
Serve the finished fish with vegetables or salad.
Recipe 2. Salmon in almond batter
This is a dish for gourmets and for those who want to please their guests with something special. It's quick and easy to prepare with just a few ingredients. This fish will appeal to those who watch their figure and adhere to healthy eating standards.
- 3 salmon fillets
- 1 lemon
- 1 package of almond flakes
- 2 egg whites
- Oil for frying
- A pinch of salt, a handful of fresh chopped rosemary
- Separate the whites from the yolks, add a pinch of salt and refrigerate.
- Wash the fish fillets, dry with paper towels and dip in lemon juice. Leave for 3 hours.
- Beat the whites until stiff peaks form. Place flour in one plate and almond flakes in another.
- Remove the fish to paper towels, dry and bread - first in flour, then in egg whites and finally in almonds.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the fish on both sides until cooked.
Serve salmon in almond batter, sprinkled with fresh rosemary.
Recipe 3. Pangasius in aromatic batter with mineral water
When there is very little time allotted for a meal, pangasius in batter will be exactly the dish that will satisfy you and will not require much time to prepare.
- 1000 grams of pangasius fillet
- 3 tablespoons. ice sparkling mineral water
- 2 eggs
- 0.5 cups wheat flour
- Salt, pepper - to taste
- Refined oil for frying
- Thaw the fillet by placing it in the refrigerator without packaging. Then rinse and dry with paper towels.
- Mix salt and pepper and rub the resulting mixture onto the fish fillets. Leave for half an hour.
- Beat eggs with salt using a mixer. Add mineral water and gradually beat in flour. Season with salt and leave for half an hour to infuse.
- Heat a frying pan with oil, dip the pangasius pieces thoroughly in the batter and place in the frying pan (the oil should almost cover the fish). Fry on both sides.
Place the finished fish on paper, then in a dish and serve with vegetables.
Recipe 4. Cod fillet in cheese batter
The healthiest cod can be cooked so carefully that it retains all the beneficial substances. The cheese batter will retain all the juices and give the fish a delicate creamy taste.
- 0.5 kg cod fillet
- 60 g hard cheese of your choice
- 1 egg
- Salt, pepper - to taste
- Oil refined for frying
- Wash the fish, dry it, pepper and salt. Leave for a while.
- In a bowl, beat the egg with salt. Then add cheese, grated on a fine grater. Beat the batter well.
- Sprinkle flour on a dish or table. Roll the prepared fish pieces in flour and dip in batter.
- Heat the frying pan and add the fish. Fry until done on all sides.
- Place the finished fish on the paper.
Place the battered cod on a serving platter and serve. Top
Cheese batter for fish in a frying pan
When preparing hake, pollock or other low-fat varieties, cheese batter for fish will help make the dish juicy.
During the work you will need:
- 2-3 chicken eggs;
- 180-220 g dense cheese;
- a little sour cream;
- 50-70 g flour;
- a pinch of salt;
- pepper and fish seasonings.
- Break the eggs into a bowl, add salt and turn into a stiff foam using a whisk.
- Shape a piece of cheese and place it in the egg mixture.
- Add sour cream, salt and spices, mix thoroughly.
Spicy lovers can add a small amount of mustard sauce to the cheese batter for fish cooked in a frying pan.
Recipe 5. Pollock in egg batter in a slow cooker
For lovers of simple and healthy dishes that are prepared quickly and are delicious. And modern technology will make the entire cooking process more comfortable.
- 0.5 kg pollock fillet
- 1 egg
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Batter flour to make semi-liquid dough
- Oil for frying
- Wash the fish fillet and cut into small pieces. Pepper, salt and leave for a while.
- Beat the egg with a pinch of salt using a mixer. Then add a little water and gradually add flour and bring the batter to the state of liquid sour cream.
- Turn the multicooker to “Fry” mode and heat the oil.
- Roll pollock pieces in flour, then dip in batter and place in heated oil at the bottom of the bowl. Fry with the lid open until golden brown.
- Place the fish on paper.
Serve the finished dish to the table.
Recipe 6. Notothenia in sour cream batter
Airy, juicy and crispy at the same time, the crust of the fish prepared according to this recipe will be obtained. It's very easy and quick to prepare.
- 100 ml ice water
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/3 teaspoon. salt
- Pepper to taste and choice
- Oil for frying
- Wash the fish, cut into pieces, pepper, salt and leave.
- Prepare the batter. Separate the whites from the yolks. Beat the whites into a stable mass, and beat the yolk with water and sour cream. Gradually add flour and stir until smooth. Gently combine with the egg whites and mix with a spatula.
- Heat a frying pan with oil, dip the fish in batter and fry until golden brown.
- Place the battered fish on paper and then onto a plate.
Serve with herbs or salad of your choice.
- 3 tablespoons flour, 1 teaspoon mustard and 3 pcs. chicken eggs, a pinch of salt, beat everything together thoroughly with a mixer or blender.
- 4 tablespoons of flour, 2 tablespoons of milk and eggs - 2 pcs., salt - 1 pinch, instead of milk you can take boiled water, beat.
- Corn flour - 1 tablespoon, potato starch - 2 tablespoons, boiled water - 4 tablespoons, spices (salt, white pepper, onion and garlic powder to taste), beat the ingredients thoroughly using a mixer.
- Mix thoroughly 4 tablespoons of beer, 5 tablespoons of milk, 4 tablespoons of wheat flour, the yolk of one egg, 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1 pinch of salt.
- 100 gr. Combine white wine with 1 tablespoon of boiled water, add vegetable oil - 1 tablespoon, eggs - 2 pcs., salt to taste. Beat everything together, gradually adding ½ cup wheat flour.
The batter for the batter should be more liquid than for pancakes, but thicker than for pancakes.
What kind of fish to take
The recipe for fish in batter involves not only batter, but also fish. What kind of fish is suitable for preparing this wonderful dish? You can take any fillet - cod, hake, pike perch, sea bass, pink salmon, trout and so on. The main thing is to thoroughly clean the fish and separate the fillets from the bones. It is better not to use bony fish such as carp or carp to prepare this recipe.
Fish with few bones is easier to eat
How to properly cut fish
Let’s say right away that correctly turning a fish carcass into the most tender fillet without bones is a feat, and when your woman performs it for the first time, it is better for the culprit of her torment - her fisherman husband - to stay away from her, do not forget that she has a cold one in her hands weapon. Maybe not the first time, but somewhere around the tenth time, your lady will do it masterfully; until that moment, the husband’s task while cutting fish is not to catch her eye.
To properly cut fish, you will need a special knife with a flexible, narrow and fairly long blade. They are convenient for cutting meat from the skin and prying off small bones.
Place the gutted carcass (you don’t have to peel the scales, since you still have to remove the skin) on the table and make an incision along the gill covers, separating the meat from the head. It is important not to cut off the head, but to cut to the ridge. Then, using a knife, we cut off the meat along the ridge from head to tail, moving the knife as close as possible to the bones of the skeleton. At the same time, we carefully go around the fin without cutting it off. We monitor the process all the time, lifting the fillet, making sure that the knife does not move away from the bones. It is important that as little meat remains on the bones as possible. Over time, you can learn to do this by touch.
Having completely cut off the upper part, you will receive two halves of a fish carcass, you will have a fillet with skin in your hand, and the second half with the head, ridge and tail will remain on the table, now turn it over and repeat the procedure. You can also try to do this without turning it over, on the contrary, cutting off the backbone from the meat, and not the meat from the backbone. In this case, you need to start from the tail, gradually freeing the ridge along with the bones. Choose the method that is most convenient for you.
You will receive two fillet halves and a fish skeleton with head. To ensure that nothing from these leftovers is wasted, you can cook fish soup. Remove the remaining small bones from the fillet with your hands or using tweezers. We cut off the fins, all we have to do is remove the skin; to do this, we place it skin side down on a cutting board and, using our convenient knife with a flexible blade, starting from the tail, cut the fillet from the skin strictly parallel to the board. We do the same with our other half.
Cooking fish in batter
Recipe 7. Trout in potato batter
A hearty fish dish for everyday life and holidays is prepared very easily and quickly using this recipe. It turns out like 2 in 1 - side dish and fish in one dish.
- 550 g trout fillet
- 2 potatoes
- 2 tbsp. l. wheat flour
- 1 egg
- 0.5 lemon
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Wash the trout and cut into portions. Salt, pepper and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Wash the potatoes, peel and grate on a medium grater. Beat the egg with salt and combine with the potatoes. Stir and gradually add flour.
- Dip the trout pieces into the batter and place in a hot frying pan. Fry on both sides until golden brown. Then reduce the heat, cover with a lid and leave for about half an hour.
Serve the finished dish with vegetables.
Beer added to the batter enhances the taste of any, even the leanest fish, and a pleasant taste is achieved through the use of mustard.
Products for cooking:
- egg - 1 pc.
- light beer – 200 ml.
- mustard powder - about 30 grams
- wheat flour - about 120 grams
- vegetable oil - 20 ml
- one clove of garlic
- salt and spices to taste
- Beat the egg with salt and seasonings, add mustard.
- Add vegetable oil and chopped garlic
- Add wheat flour in small portions, mix everything thoroughly.
- And the most important accent! - add beer and mix everything.
Recipe 8. Pink salmon, baked in milk batter in the oven
One of the healthiest varieties of fish, pink salmon easily and quickly turns into a delicacy that can be included in both the everyday menu and the holiday menu.
- 850 g pink salmon fillet
- 160 ml chilled milk
- ½ tsp. pepper to choose from
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 tablespoons. flour (approximately)
- Baking oil
- Wash the fish and cut into portions.
- Beat the egg with salt in a bowl, then pour in ice milk, add pepper and gradually add flour.
- Grease a baking sheet with oil and heat in the oven. Place the fish pieces, dipping them in the batter.
- Place pink salmon in the oven and bake until golden brown.
Serve the battered fish in a beautiful dish with a side dish of your choice or with chopped vegetables.
Tip 1. To make the batter tasty, cool the liquid ingredients to an ice-cold state before adding them. Leave the finished batter in the refrigerator to keep it cold. Thanks to the temperature contrast (cold batter and hot oil), the batter will turn out airy.
Tip 2. To ensure crispy batter, fry the fish without covering the pan with a lid. And if you want a juicy batter, then cook with a lid.
Tip 3. To ensure that the batter covers the fish evenly and holds well, pre-bread the fish in flour or starch.
Tip 4. Spices and herbs will help diversify the taste of the batter and the finished dish. Select them based on the type of fish you are preparing. For example, it is better to varnish salmon with saffron or dill, and river trout with basil. For sea bream, take rosemary and thyme, and for carp, bay leaf.
Classic step-by-step recipe
The main ingredients for classic batter preparation are cold water (15 ml), raw chicken eggs (2 pieces), salt, spices (optional) and wheat, corn or other flour (4 heaped tablespoons).
- Place 2 chilled raw eggs in a deep bowl;
- beat, without separating the yolks and whites, with a whisk, mixer or fork until foam appears;
- pour in prepared very cold water;
- add salt and ground spices to taste;
- Little by little you need to add the sifted flour, constantly whisking the mixture so that no lumps form;
- The finished mixture must be placed in the refrigerator for 30 minutes so that the dough “ripens”.
Dip fish slices into the prepared breading and quickly fry in vegetable oil (olive, corn), maintaining high heat, so that an appetizing golden brown crust appears on top.
To prevent the oil from splashing, add a little salt to the bottom of the container. You need to add less salt to the breading.
To determine whether the temperature of the fat is suitable for cooking a dish, it is recommended to add a little prepared batter to the hot oil. If a droplet floats to the surface, surrounded by bursting small bubbles, you can start frying the fish.